Thursday, January 19, 2017

Current Reading Exert - A Game of Thrones

            "The Other said something in a language that Will did not know; his voice was like the cracking of ice on a winter lake, and the words were mocking."



     I just want to talk a bit about this line. It is from A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. To sum up the book for those of you who haven't seen the T.V. series or read the book; it's a massive collection of seven books total that follows a few different characters through the worst winter many of the lands residents have ever seen. There are supernatural forces waiting outside the kingdom's protective walls. So the main conflict lies with the Stark family of Winterfell. They seem to have a lot on their hands. 

     So far I really am still early in the book, only a few chapters in out of a 800+ page novel. However this little piece stood out to me. There was so much in that single line. There was feeling. Emotional and physical. It drew in all of my senses and really made my heart race a bit at the thought. That my friends, is good story telling. Those are some goals that I hope to reach in my lifetime.

     What have you been reading recently? What's a line or two that really stand out to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment