Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Writers and Ice Cream Shops

     I was reading a ebook today on my train ride home and ran across something that got my brain working. Up until this moment I had been thoroughly enjoying the book. It’s called “52 Ways to Sell More Books” by Penny C. Sansevieri. Here is the exert from the book, it was in a chapter about knowing your industry.


What would you think of a store owner who opened a yogurt shop in downtown San Diego only to find that fave other stores were opening within months of his, one of them a very successful franchise with a huge following? Wouldn’t this make you sort of wonder why on earth this store owner would do that, I mean open a store without doing the proper research?

Now when I first ready this I had to pause a few moments and reread it just to be sure I got this right. Because that wasn’t actually the first thing I thought about. I didn’t in fact wonder why he would do that, because while in the end game it might not have been the smartest choice, we don’t know his full plans. I thought a man here has a goal and a dream, and he’s doing whatever it is that he set his mind to. That part was inspiring.

Let’s face it, Most big chain ice cream/ yogurt shops have all the same stuff, are priced a tad too high and have a high percentage of High Schooler employees. If this man does things well, and proper, and brings something new that those big name places can’t. He right there would have a hand up on the market. Maybe he will make all of his product in house and fresh, instead of from some bag mix shipped from a warehouse.

It hurt me a bit when I read this and I took some time to reflect on how it was said, because yes I can understand her point, and the need to know what your industry is doing, but with how she words it, none of us should be writing. Taking the same example that she gave us. “Why do something when someone bigger than you is already doing it?” If that was the case, we should all give up now because I’m fairly sure most of the basic ideas have been used.

I personally believe that no two minds work the same or think alike. How you write something, let’s say a dragon setting a city on fire, and how I write it, can come across very different to a number of readers. Some will like yours others will like mine. So back to the ice cream shop. If you write, and you specialize in something. You write it. Take those big ideas and open your mind and heart up and let it loose next to those “big chains” (or authors in this case.) and show the world how you do it differently. We need stories, books, ideas. We need them to be new and fresh because what works for you, doesn’t always work for me.


What are your feelings on this topic?  

No comments:

Post a Comment